Monday, October 28, 2013

Stretching out into Illustration...

1989- At my animation desk


...Animation was on an upward climb, the last two films the Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company had made a profit at the box office and now Mermaid had topped them both as a money maker for the studio. John Musker and Ron Clements who directed Great Mouse and Mermaid were making quite a name for themselves as young directors....



 Below is the invitation to the wrap party.These parties got to be more and more elaborate as the films brought in more and more profits. To the right is the Mermaid crew photo taken in a park in Glendale.


  
The crew got letters from Roy congratulating us on the success of the film. Management was getting the hint that animation was making a come back in a big way...


 


As for me, I was still stuck in 'crowd scene purgatory.' I even got a note from the director and management commenting on my time spent there. They too realize it is not something one aspires to do...

 

 L
As stated earlier,  I started doing pen and ink artwork at home in my spare time in an attempt to keep my frustration level at work to a minimum. One day at work I saw a piece of work that Ruben Aquino had done for a class on humorous illustration he was taking at the Art Center College of Design (now located in Pasadena). Ruben's art made such an impression on me that I signed up for that same class the next semester. I found it a fun and enlightening class. The principles taught in the class were the same or similar as what I had been working in the animation field: staging, solid drawing, gesture, using a story telling drawing(s). I soaked up the information like a sponge.

Here's my first assignment for the Humorous Illustration class done in pen and ink...an animal illustration of the alphabet.

     


 The information I obtained in class was put into use as I prepared portfolio samples to send to book and magazine publishers. After a couple of years of rejection notices I got my first assignment. I was able to contribute artwork for the Sunny Day Studio, Children's Playmate Magazine, Kid City magazine,Cricket magazine, and several assignments for Publications International Books to name a few.
  

 
A few more illustrations I've done for birthday cards, (saves me money and makes the recipient feel really special) wedding invitations, and my personal stationary to augment my portfolio...


...a friend's wedding announcement...


my niece's wedding announcement...


my daughter's wedding announcement...

my son's wedding announcement...

  ...personal stationary.


 Glen Keane introduced me to his dad, Bil Keane of 'Family Circus' fame, and I wrote him to get his insights as I prepared to teach a class on humorous illustration at a local college...




I continued to push my creativity venturing into sports themed large illustrations (30x40) done in pencil or pen and ink, commissioned for individuals, donated to colleges, and for my personal satisfaction. I also did commissions for businesses.



 Here is my daughter Melissa standing next to a sidewalk sign(30x60) commissioned for the 'Sweet Georgia Brown' restaurant in Monrovia. Only after the owner put it on display outside his establishment was he informed the city had an ordinance against sidewalk signs.
 






















1 comment: